Looking forward to getting started

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:38 AM
Edited Aug 14, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Hello All,

After having completed all my personal projects that I had lined up (one involved placing third in the Microsoft Imagine Cup!), I finally got round to spending some time with Singularity.

I am interested in working on an aspect of this OS for my final year university project because frankly, I like the way it has been very easy to jump in and understand which I assume is because of the massive abstraction between hardware (plus the codename is awesome!).

What I have been doing whilst finding my way around is a simple display server (not unlike unix's X Server) using the same c# socket library I originally wrote for the imagine cup and a small component library to go with it so multiple windowed applications can display on screen.

I am however, wondering if there is anything more useful that anyone would like me to work on because I understand that going further on the GUI component library might be a bit pre-emptive when there is barely a filesystem to load the content from :D. Until then, I can work on mouse input because at the moment, the pointer is controlled by the keyboard which is a bit of a poor solution :) although at least there is no synaptics touchpad icon clogging up the notification tray haha. I have coded a couple of drivers for BSD and ReactOS so I don't forsee too much of a problem getting this working. Should be fun.

I look forward to working with you all.

Best Regards,

Karsten

EDIT: There seems to be some mouse code in LegacyKeyboard which is nice.