New to Singularity, have some questions.

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:19 AM
Edited Jun 25, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Hi all. I am new to singularity and want to know some aspects about it before downloading and trying it.

1. Will it run in the Qemu emulator?

2. What is minimum amount of RAM on which Singularity can be successfully launched?

3. Since i am strictly against piracy, none of my PCs run Windows. How can i develop applications for Singularity in Linux, or maybe in Singularity itself (does it include any compiler/interpreter within itself)?

4. Does it have any Cyrillic support? And if not, how can i add one?

5. Does it include applications such as text editor, browser (like lynx), file manager (like Midnight Commander), Jabber client (like mcabber) etc?

6. Does it have multiple consoles switchable using key combination (like Ctrl+Alt+F(n) in Linux)?

7. Where is documentation of any kind?

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:12 AM

Hello.

1. Yes, as I know, it will run, but Virtual PC is more recomended for it.

2, On this moment, Singularity does not start on 128 MB memory, but on 256 it does.

3. No. You can tried to install and run .NET on Wine and, after that, compile Singularity, but I'm not sure of it will be work :)

4. Oh, you're Russian! You must visit my small forum about Singularity - http://forum.singularity.6dp.ru :) But answer on this question is "No" since.

5. The same.

6. No. At this moment, Singularity isn't completed (it is, practically. alpha version). Therefore it doesn't have many of required apps.

7. You may find many documentation in the RDK :)

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM
Edited Jul 2, 2009 at 12:54 PM

My real machine has 256 MB of RAM. On such a machine, QEMU provides only 116 MB to real machine. So Singularity did not boot.

When i burned a CR-RW using K3b and ran Singularity on real machine, it booted, but during the boot process it loads over 400 files from the CDROM (where - into its ramdisk?) and only then starts.

Then i tried to run apps included on the CDROM, and was surprised that it is impossible to cd to the folder with them. The only way to run them is to enter full path.

After launching some of these apps Singularity just hangs.

I am not aiming at recompiling whole Singularity using Linux - i clearly understand that it is next to impossible (maybe only using Mono). What i wish is just experimenting in developing some small apps for it.

Also, i didn't download the source zip - as far as i understand, the documentation is in it? I only downloaded the iso zip.