Getting Singularity running on VMware

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:37 AM
Edited Mar 2, 2009 at 6:43 AM
Okay, so I just got the RDK launching on VMware, obviously it fails. I get to blsingularity.cpp(720) where the OS halt with an unrecognized kill action 0xFFFFFFFF.

Do I have insufficient information to debug this on a Mac running OS X? I'm using VMware Fusion for several reasons and I want sing to run in that environment. What do I need to make sure that the debugger will function (or this impossible with they way it's been setup)?

I'm really looking to get Singularity to that point were it will launch on most environments and I mean to write display drivers and a window manager as well.

I want to check with people involved if there sufficient documentation to begin with, or do any one find that there is insufficient information as to regard to how Singularity works?

EDIT: clearly after looking at the build process it's not going to build on a non-windows machine but it should be able to run just fine on VMware after a few changes...

John

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:42 AM
Hi,

Same here. I'm using Vista and  MS VPC 2007 is crashing. Don't know why. Anyway I tried running on VMWare. It seems that we have to work a little on the aml parser :D. It seems that "DefObjectType" is not supported for acpi device _SB_\L1M0\L0M0\MEM0\   <- I have no idea what this is. I'll get the acpi specs and get myself familiar. Can someone help ?

All the best,
Alex.
Mar 15, 2009 at 1:54 PM
How can we help with this if we can't debug there problems? We have
the source code but I'm betting that someone is sitting on
documentation or domain knowledge why we're encountering this error.
That would be very helpful in moving forward.

What's the status of the singularity project anyway? I hope it's still
live and kicking!

John

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 10:42 AM, humbi83 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: humbi83
>
> Hi,
>
> Same here. I'm using Vista and  MS VPC 2007 is crashing. Don't know why.
> Anyway I tried running on VMWare. It seems that we have to work a little on
> the aml parser :D. It seems that "DefObjectType" is not supported for acpi
> device _SB_\L1M0\L0M0\MEM0\   <- I have no idea what this is. I'll get the
> acpi specs and get myself familiar. Can someone help ?
>
> All the best,
> Alex.
>
> Read the full discussion online.
>
> To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email
> ([email removed])
>
> To start a new discussion for this project, email
> [email removed]
>
> You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on
> CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.
>
> Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts
> to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
Mar 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM
Hi all.

A small work-around for this problem would be to actually disable the acpi altogether :D. Just comment out the  "#define ACPI_ENABLED" & undef it( just to be sure) at the beginning of the \Kernel\Singularity.Drivers\RegisterPc.cs file.

Oh.. yes forgot to tell you BE SURE that you have only one cpu enabled on the vm. If not you'll get some "DS1.Assertion failed." <- RTClockApic::ClearInterrupt() probably at this line : "DebugStub.Assert((status & CMask) == CMask);"

Anyway. You'll not have the video/vesa working :(. I'll take a look over this next week.

All the best,
Alex.
Mar 16, 2009 at 7:35 PM
To get vesa you just have to enable it in blentry.cpp.  See work item 3394.

All the best,
Alex.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2009 at 12:41 AM
Apologies for the slow response. We have a high-priority internal work item to repair this issue, but it is not yet fixed. I suspect a limitation in the ACPI interpreter. After it is repaired it will be updated in the next incremental release. Thanks for your patience.
--
Derrick Coetzee
Microsoft Research Operating Systems Group developer

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:39 AM
Hi,

How did you get singularity work on vmware? I tried to import with VMware converter, but it says "Unable to determine guest OS".

Is there any way I can fool VMware by telling that it is a windows machine?

Thanx.
Mar 25, 2009 at 5:39 PM
Hi george_wang,

This is by no means the official way but here it goes.

1. You have to make a new vm in vmware with 1 cpu and at least 512MB of memory (I'm sorry I can't give you detailed steps on this because my development laptop is down). Optional for debug:  also have serial port com 1 enabled and associate it to "\\.\pipe\kd" named pipe.

2.  Disable ACPI. Modify the <SingRoot>\base\Kernel\Singularity.Drivers\RegisterPc.cs  ("#define ACPI_ENABLED" ->"//#define ACPI_ENABLED")

3.  Enable VESA. Modify the <SingRoot>\base\boot\SingLdrPc\blentry.cpp ("#define VESA_ENABLED 0" -> "#define VESA_ENABLED 1")

4.  Start "setenv.cmd /apicup" and run "msb Distro\World.proj" at the command prompt (you can use something else for the distro project). If this doesn't work start the setenv.cmd as it is, delete base.obj and try again.

5. Wait till the build ends. If you had a failed build you'd better delete the <SingRoot>\base.obj folder. The /t:Clean doesn't work for me.  You'll have the <SingRoot>\base.obj\Distros\<distro_description>.iso

6. Start your vmware vm created on step1 and mount the iso file from step 5.

7. See  build & running pdf file to set up the dbg environment.

If I remember you'll not have network(or I had the network disabled in vm) and sound.

All the best,
Alex.
Apr 14, 2011 at 6:33 AM
Edited Apr 14, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Deleted.

May 19, 2011 at 1:42 PM

i'm having some troubles building the whole whing... i get this error:

D:\singularity-45126\base>msb Distro\World.projUsing 64-bit MSBuild from .NET Framework 3.5MSBUILD : Logger error MSB4104: Failed to write to log file "D:\singularity-45126\base.obj\MSBuildLogs\5/01-14393719.log". Could not find a part of the path 'D:\singularity-45126\base.obj\MSBuildLogs\5\01-14393719.log'.Wall time elapsed: 00:00:00 (User: 00:00:00, Kernel: 00:00:00)Total processes:          1Page faults:           4520The system cannot find the path specified.  D:\singularity-45126\base.obj\MSBuildLogs\5/01-14393719.log

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Kipter,

This is extremely late, but may help someone else:

You need to create the directory: D:\singularity-45126\base.obj\MSBuildLogs\5

Then try the MS Build line again.

Hope that helps,

Arfonzo