Can't I be paid?

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:43 AM
Could someone please explain the terms of the Singularity Open Source Licence?

I would specifically like to know whether this is similar to other open source licences where if you innovate on those platforms, you lose your IP rights. I'm not some charity, I like to be paid for my inventions. When I do charity, it would be to some well run organization, and not to a dubiously unstructured entity like the open source movement.

I think the open source movement works through blackmail and extortion.
Nov 29, 2008 at 3:33 PM
The license for Singularity is a bit more restrictive than a standard open source license. Any derivative software created based on Singularity can not be used in a production/commercial manner. Which would preclude you from making any kind of money from your work.
Coordinator
Dec 1, 2008 at 6:43 PM
Yes, the Singularity platform is a prototype platform intended to be used primarily for education and research, but note that merely privately developing on the platform does not require you to grant anyone rights to your work. As specified in the license:

"You may create derivative works of the Software source code and distribute the modified Software solely for non-commercial academic purposes, as provided herein.. If you distribute the Software or any derivative works of the Software, you will distribute them under the same terms and conditions as in this license, and you will not grant other rights to the Software or derivative works that are different from those provided by this MSR-LA."

In other words, as long as you hold your derivative works confidential, do not distribute them, and do not submit them to CodePlex (per (4)), you may also reserve all copyright and patent rights associated with your contributions. Generally speaking, the same is true of almost any open-source license; you are only restricted when you seek to distribute your derivative work, not when you merely create it. Note however that I have not consulted Microsoft's legal department with regard to this question and am merely giving you my interpretation of the existing license; I do not grant you any new rights with this statement. I hope this helps.
--
Derrick Coetzee
Microsoft Research Operating Systems Group developer