Build Problems

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Hi!
I wanted to build Singularity on both Windows Vista and Windows XP. I already installed the .Net Framework 1.1 (+Service Pack). Additionally I installed the Debugging Tools and Virtual PC 2007 (as described in "Building and Running Singularity.pdf"). The files are in c:\sing and I ran it as Administrator (1. configure.cmd, 2. Desktop Link, 3. "msb Distro\Tiny.proj"). Here is a section of the logfile:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
csic: can't find "C:\sing\base.obj\Interfaces\Basetypes.ill=kernel.exe"
            AccessedThroughPropertyAttribute.csi(14,60): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
            unknown built-in type 'System.Int32'; maybe a missing -reference option
            unknown built-in type 'System.String'; maybe a missing -reference option
            AssemblyFileVersionAttribute.csi(24,56): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
            AssemblyFileVersionAttribute.csi(27,45): undefined namespace or type 'String'
            AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(22,54): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
Done building target "BuildAssembly" in project "Baseattrs.csproj" -- FAILED.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "FAILED" error (last line) is the same for Memory.csproj, Kernel.csproj, IoConfig.csproj, Drivers.csproj, Processor.csproj, Hypercall.csproj, NVidiaDrivers.csproj and Shell.csproj

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Coordinator
Oct 20, 2008 at 7:36 PM
Hi jojo. I haven't encountered this error before. Could you please send me a .zip of your complete build log at dcoetzee@microsoft.com? The path to the build log is printed at the end of the build. Also, please confirm that the file c:\sing\base.obj\Interfaces\Basetypes.ill does in fact exist. Finally, just to be certain, try the following clean build procedure:

1. Right-click on the desktop link and choose "Run as administrator".
  2. Use "rmdir /s /q base.obj" to remove your object directory.
  3. msb Distro\Tiny.proj

Thanks, and I hope I'll be able to help you with your problem.
--
Derrick Coetzee
Microsoft Research Operating Systems Group developer

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:44 AM
Hi Derrick,
thanks for your reply. Basetypes.ill existed in c:\sing\base.obj\Interfaces, so I deleted the base.obj folder and started building it again (msb Distro\Tiny.proj). Now it works, thank you!
I sent you the old build log anyway in order to look for the problem.