Hardware requirements for booting Singularity

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM

What is the hardware configuration required to run Singularity on a physical computer (and not a virtual machine)?  I was using a 64 bit , 4 GB RAM brand new intel machine and the boot just hangs after showing:

"Looking for Debugger.

Boot time...

Booting from CD in drive 0xEF.."

Is it necessary that I have a 32 bit hardware to boot Singularity ?

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I'm not sure if this is related to 32/64-bit hardware. It seems that Singularity does not support new hardware to well. I had the same issue on an Alienware M17xR2. However, I was able to boot the system on some older Dell.

Why do you want to boot Singularity on a physical computer?

Marek

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Hi Marek,

I am using Singularity for my project which will include sending Signals and getting feedback from the hardware. So I need a physical computer and a VM is not enough for me.

Thanks,

Sharad 

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2011 at 6:35 PM

our snapshot of Singularity is from 2008. no work has been published since then to bring it up-to-date with newer hardware profiles.
use this OS to leverage your older 32-bit hardware, or add some compatible drivers and get props for bringing it current.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:10 PM
MpDziik Do you remember whihc hardware was working?
I read teh singularity papers and tried to start it on a Fujitsu with AMD Athlon 3500+ on nvidia nforce4 mainboard. (In the papers they states that the performance was measured with a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ on an nforce4 ultra board) - same result as sharadb. (I thought : take the hardware which is described under the performance measurements - but still it does not work...)

I also tried it to start on ancient laptops - Dell 630 and Compaq N610c - they only show 'ABCD'

So the thing neither boots on old Athlon 64, nor on Pentium4 based notebooks nor on an ancient (yep i tried) P2.

So which machine worked for you?

(Also nowadays it seems you need an old computer so the thing starts as it does not seem to like VirtualBox or HyperV much...)
Mar 9, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Hi Offler, I was able to boot Singularity successfully on a Dell Latitude D620. Unfortunately the keyboard wasn't working after system startup. The tests that I was performing involved only system startup, so I didn't dig into the issue, but probably proper drivers are missing.

I also tried booting it on an Alienware M17x R2, but without any success.