Launching apps via SMB mount

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:45 AM
If I mount my singularity tree via SMB will I then be able to launch compiled apps that way, or must they be compiled into an image to be runnable? I'm just trying to shorten the time between compiling an running during development...
Apr 3, 2008 at 8:11 PM
Hi. I wrote the SMB client in Singularity.

It's possible to mount remote volumes, and even to execute binaries over them. However, due to some limitations, the result is not really something you would want to use. Mainly, it's very slow. It's actually easier and faster to reboot the OS in order to load binaries, than it is to use the SMB client. This is due to some limitations in how TCP is implemented in Singularity, and is not inherent in Singularity itself.

The fastest way to test your apps on Singularity is to boot the CD-ROM image (ISO file) using VPC. Also, you can create a new "distro" project, that includes only the components you need. For example, the project Distro\Tiny.proj contains the minimum set of components required to build and boot Singularity. It doesn't even contain the IDE driver, which can significantly reduce boot times (even on VPC).

There's also support for the ".kdfiles" feature of WinDbg. However, that's really only for debugging.