Running Apps In Singularity

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:33 AM
Maybe I'm an idiot, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to run any apps in singularity. I've compiled World.proj but I have no idea how to start any apps from singularity's prompt. Now don't get me wrong I'm really good at programming, I'm working on a hobby kernel I've written myself, but I cannot figure out Singularity. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Geniusdog
Mar 29, 2008 at 7:14 PM
I had some trouble with this too. All the apps live in /init, so you can just type /init/APPNAME. You can do "dir /init" to see whats there. You can also look at the source in base\Applications in your singularity install to see what available. It looks like most apps can just be called directly from the command line without "/init". For example "/init/tasklist" is the same as "tasklist". I'm not sure if this is because there is some sort of path that includes /init or if it is hard coded to look for apps in /init or if the apps are installed/registered with the kernel or shell somehow to define commands.
Mar 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM
I just type executable filename in console and it works. For example, how to compile your custom project and add it to Singularity image

-copy all files from Singularity\base\Applications\Hello to Singularity\base\Applications\MyHello
-Rename Hello.cs and Hello.csproj to MyHello.cs and MyHello.csproj
-Edit 2 lines in MyHello.csproj
<AssemblyName>MyHello</AssemblyName>
<Compile Include="MyHello.cs" />
-Edit Singularity\base\Distro\Tiny.proj
Add line <Application Include="$(SINGULARITY_ROOT)\Applications\MyHello\MyHello.csproj"/>

msb Distro/Tiny.proj

Attach Singularity\base.obj\Distros\Tiny.Prototype.LegacyPC.MarkSweep.Min.MarkSweep.iso to Virtual PC, boot Singularity and type MyHello in console.
Coordinator
Mar 31, 2008 at 9:54 PM
additional info in the 1st responses at link:
http://www.codeplex.com/singularity/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=23669