For those having problems installing .NET Framework 1.1 on Vista

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:56 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2008 at 6:27 PM
So I was having the following problem and after doing some research I managed to solve it by slip-streaming the .NET Framework 1.1 with its SP1 update. I had this problem on my Vista Ultimate x86 SP1 installation. Don't know whether it applies or not to other system scenarios.

The problem (might vary slightly between computers):
==============
RegSvcs.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services
-------------------------
Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x18a8 (6312), Thread id=0xef4 (3828).

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.
==============

Clicking cancel would also give an error with the JIT debugger, saying it's not available.

This error is displayed when the installer reaches almost the end and is registering the file "System.EnterpriseServices.dll"

This problem has been corrected in the SP1 update of the .NET Framework but nonetheless, SP1 is not available stand-alone and therefore has to be strip-streamed.

The instructions are as follows:

1) Download the Redistributable Package of the .NET Framework version 1.1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en
2) Download the SP1 update for the .NET Framework version 1.1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a8f5654f-088e-40b2-bbdb-a83353618b38&displaylang=en
3) Rename the SP1 update file to "dotnetfxsp1.exe" to avoid complications throughout the process.
4) Save both installation files to the same directory. I recommend keeping it as simple as "C:\DotNet" to avoid mis-types during the slip-streaming process.
5) Open Command Prompt as an Administrator.
6) Go to (in Command Prompt) the directory where the installation files are located. Just type (in this example) "cd\" and press ENTER to go to the root of the drive. If required to change drive letters just type for example "C:" and CMD will automatically change to that. Afterwards type "cd \DotNet" and press ENTER.
7) Now run the following commands in Command Prompt:
  • dotnetfx.exe /c:"msiexec.exe /a netfx.msi TARGETDIR=C:\DotNet"
Obviously change the "C:\DotNet" according to where you saved the installation files.
When prompted to install the .NET Framework Package 1.1 select Yes.
Wait till it gives you a completion message.

• dotnetfxsp1.exe /Xp:C:\DotNet\netfxsp.msp
You will not get any status messages for this step.

• msiexec.exe /a c:\DotNet\netfx.msi /p c:\DotNet\netfxsp.msp
Wait for Windows Installer to finish.

8) You can now close Command Prompt.
9) Now open and run the file "netfx.msi" to install the new slipstreamed installer.

This method is not officially supported by Microsoft

Hope it will help you install the .NET Framework 1.1 on your PC without any problems. I can certify if worked well for me.

I have taken this information from other sites and they are the ones who should take the credit.

Regards,
ferrarix.

Comments are welcome :)