Stops at "Initializing Service Thread"

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:36 PM
Some users are experiencing Singularity appearing to be frozen at "Initializing Service Thread" when running it. This happens because Singularity is waiting for a debugger to be attached so it can communicate with it. To fix this, execute the following command prior to launching your virtual machine:

dbg /pipe

This will launch the debugger and configure it. When the virtual machine boots up, it will connect to the debugger and continue the boot process normally.
Mar 5, 2008 at 6:45 PM
Is there a workaround for running outside of a Virtual PC environment? Can a debugger be attached via a hardware serial port, or can it be started without debug opts?
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2008 at 9:51 PM
(with apologies for whatever i left out - i did accomplish this recently)

from the host machine where you have the RDK, attach a "null-modem" serial cable to the target machine.
verify this works with some terminal emulation on either end. i lost a day to a bum serial header.

...\base

edit build\boothw.cmd and set target machine MAC address (something like:)
set MacAddress=00-11-d8-49-f5-c6

:build
msb distro\(some .proj)

:start debugger.
dbg /com1

:start boot listener
boothw

:reboot target machine to lan boot

you should see scrolling chitchat in the boot listener and on the target screen, then more scrolling chitchat in the debugger on the host machine.
Apr 6, 2008 at 7:56 PM
it looks like this happens not because Singularity is waiting for debugger, but because it generates GPF and does not do anything to resolve it. so it's stuck in infinite loop of generating GPF, calling exception handler and returning back to the offending instruction.