Application Standards?

Jan 21, 2009 at 12:44 AM
Edited Jan 21, 2009 at 12:48 AM
Hello, I have been wondering about what language did the community want to be standard for writing applications for Singularity? I have been writing small applications for Mac OS 10,Windows and Linux in C or C++. I know that C# seems to be an extension to the C language, but I have not felt secure using the .NET framework. The reason that I have not used the .NET framework yet is because it would make it slightly more difficult to port all of my applications to different platforms. I am aware that the goal of Singularity is OS research, but I want to see how the proposal OS will work and how to go about writing apps for a platform like this in windows.

eight190
Jan 21, 2009 at 1:02 AM
Singularity is a managed code operating system so a majority of the operating system is written in C# and Sing# ( an extension of C# ). The only place that unmanaged code is running in the OS is in limited parts of the Kernel and it could also run in Virtual Machines in thier own process.

To: [email removed]
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 16:45:03 -0800
Subject: Application Standards? [singularity:44741]

Hello, I have been wondering about what language did the community want to be standard for writing applications for Singularity? I have been writing small applications for Mac OS 10,Windows and Linux in C or C++. I know that C# seems to be an extension to the C language, but I have not felt secure using the .NET framework. The reason that I have not used the .NET framework yet is because it would make it slightly difficult to port all of my applications to different platforms. I am aware that the goal is OS research, but I want to see how the proposal OS will work and how to go about writing apps for a platform like this in windows.

eight190
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (singularity@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email singularity@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
Jan 21, 2009 at 1:21 AM
Edited Jan 21, 2009 at 1:23 AM
Where does one begin to write applications for this platform? How would I compile and load applications on the singularity platform?
Jan 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM
Its kinda mentioned in this thread titled "Graph mode and how to write own apps". It gives you the basic idea about how to make your own "Hello World" application for Singularity.

http://www.codeplex.com/singularity/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=23669

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM
Thanks, sorry for my stupidity.

eight190
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2009 at 12:09 AM
Hi eight190: to respond to your original question, in order to enforce the integrity of software isolated processes, it is necessary that applications be written in some memory-safe language, generally one targeting MSIL. There are ways in theory to get C++ apps running on Singularity - like running them in a separate hardware process domain, or to supply proof-carrying code that establishes memory safety - but this research has not yet been done. Take a look at the existing applications under base\Applications to get an idea about how to write new ones, and let me know if you have any questions.
--
Derrick Coetzee
Microsoft Research Operating Systems Group developer