Details about tracing system

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:14 AM
Hello,

Is there any kind of documentation that explains the options associated with the tracing system (the Tracing class of the kernel) ? For example, I wanted to display detailed trace of the Keyboard driver, but when I issue the !log command in the debugger all I get is some very generic messages flooded into other kernel messages. So what I want to do is filter out the message source (like, I want only the keyboard driver messages), and get all of them (trace, warn, error, etc...). By looking at the singx86 source I figured out that !log was a shortcut to the !diagnose command with lots of options, but I could not find how to use these options (and I was too tired to dig further into sources...).

Any hints ? Thanks for your help.

Xavier
Coordinator
Dec 6, 2008 at 6:59 PM
Hi XavierRM - probably the best documentation for the options for !diagnose is in the command-line help. Just type !diagnose by itself to view it - it explains the options and give examples. Unfortunately we don't have a way to just view traces from a particular module, as far as I know, but you could modify the traces in your module to temporarily log at a higher severity. Hope this helps.
--
Derrick Coetzee
Microsoft Research Operating Systems Group developer