Kernel.dmp image

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:38 PM
Hi,

The documentation of Singularity says that "boottest.cmd mypc.vmc" can be used to boot the ISO image generated during the build process. I do not see an ISO file.
Is it the kernel.dmp file which is being referred to?

The documentation also says that output from the build process generates the bootable image file kernel.dmp.

When I try to use "boottest.cmd mypc.vmc", is the Virtual PC supposed to boot singularity os? It is not happening my case. I get an error:
"Virtual PC could not be started because there is not enough memory in the host"
Is this problem specific to Virtual PC? Please let me know.

I am stuck badly. Please help me with this.

Thanks,
Prudhvi
Apr 25, 2008 at 9:09 PM
Edited Apr 25, 2008 at 9:09 PM
Hi,

if your enviroment is set correctly, then the process create a vmc image with this name: pxe.vmc in boot directory.

so to use the command boottest.cmd mypc.vmc you need first rename pxe.vmc.

type this in console: copy boot\pxe.vmc mypc.vmc
then: boottest.cmd mypc.cmd

I hope this helps
Coordinator
May 8, 2008 at 10:33 PM

When I try to use "boottest.cmd mypc.vmc", is the Virtual PC supposed to boot singularity os? It is not happening my case. I get an error:
"Virtual PC could not be started because there is not enough memory in the host"
Is this problem specific to Virtual PC? Please let me know.

This is probably because you're either using a machine with limited RAM (such as 512MB of RAM) or have configured the virtual machine to use more memory than is available on your machine. Try configuring it to use 256MB; a full build of Singularity may exhibit lower performance with this limited amount of RAM, however. Try just building the distribution Tiny.proj to test your setup. Please let me know if you continue to experience difficulty with this.
--
Derrick Coetzee
Microsoft Research Operating Systems Group developer