Open Keyboard and Video

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:43 AM
I've been trying to find an example of how to read from the keyboard and write to video (rectangles and lines, nothing too complicated). The best I've found is Applications/Pong but I can't get either of the OpenKeyboard/OpenVideo methods to compile (nor Pong itself). Are there any other examples floating around out there, I haven't been able to find any in the source.

Thanks,
-Kevin Montrose
Mar 23, 2008 at 6:01 AM
Never mind on the "can't compile" bit. Now I've got Pong to compile, but when I try to run it I get the following message:
-- Exit code: -1

Any ideas? My own app using the same open keyboard/video code also fails with the same message.

Thanks,
-Kevin Montrose
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2008 at 4:58 PM
Hi Kevin - please read the posting <http://www.codeplex.com/singularity/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=23669> and get Slides working. i'll have a solution to Pong shortly. there are a few issues to overcome but the "-1" is because you don't have the graphics driver. more soon.
Mar 25, 2008 at 4:21 PM
Figured it out. Very bad things happen if you try to paint larger than the screen size (in my case, I was off by a pixel in each direction); and if you try to Send without RecvAck.

Still no luck on Pong, but I've got my own apps accessing video now; if quite slowly (I'm guessing that's Virtual PC at work though). Now to figure out how to get keyboard Polling to work, doesn't seem to work exactly like GetKey.

-Kevin Montrose