Getting Started?

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:27 PM
I've got a 8gig partition that I'd like to use to play with Singularity. I'm curious where to start? Should I install WindowsXP-Pro on the partition and then install the RDK? Maybe I'm overlooking it (or it's included in the zip - which I haven't opened), but is there an install walk-through?

Thanks,

Andy
Mar 5, 2008 at 8:40 PM
Andy - there's a tech install guide in the zip that's a PDF file. If you're using the same PC/OS I would suggest looking at VirtualPC instead; instructions are in that PDF as well.
Mar 5, 2008 at 9:10 PM
Thanks so much - my apologies for my laziness.
Mar 6, 2008 at 5:54 AM
Edited Mar 7, 2008 at 5:08 AM
After much effort I have finally been able to build and run the Singularity RDK OS on Microsoft Virtual PC. I used the "msb Distro\Tiny.proj" target option. As you can see from the screenshot link below.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg139/davidesii/Singularity.jpg
Does anyone know if there is a GUI for this OS or is it still at an early console based stage? If there is a GUI version of it how do I boot to it or get to it?
Also, I tried unsuccessfully tried booting from the ISO image found on my system at: C:\Users\JohnDoe\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Singularity OS\base.obj\Distros\World.Prototype.LegacyPC.MarkSweep.Min.MarkSweep.iso This ISO file is 89.1 MB in size. When my laptop booted from the CD all I see is a 'S_' (the underscore after the S is a fast blinking cursor) at the top left of the screen and my system freezes up. Has anyone been able to boot their system using the boot CD from the ISO that the build process produces? I have to do a hard reboot after that. Here are my system specs.
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate x64
Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
System Manufacturer ASUS
System Model G1S
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16407"
Total Physical Memory 4,094.50 MB

Thank for your help
Mar 6, 2008 at 8:23 AM
You almost certainly don't have drivers. There's a .pdf file which states what motherboards are supported; I think it's just the Virtual PC one and some Nvidia one.
Mar 6, 2008 at 1:12 PM
I tried to boot from iso image, but have no success.
On Hyper-V it writes only "1a2345".
I tried to boot my computer from this iso - again no result - I see only black screen and blinking cursor (Intel Core 2 Duo)
On 2 another computers (single core and dual core Athlons) I see only 'S'.

But VirtualPC boots from this ISO and works http://downloads.betacode.ru/singularity2.png
Mar 6, 2008 at 4:02 PM
did you do tiny or one of the other distros?
Mar 6, 2008 at 5:01 PM
I did world distro