Cannot build the source

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:51 PM
I am using Windows Vista Ultimate.

I cannot build the system up with the "msb Distro/Tiny.csproj" (or with any other)
Here is a part of build log: (all same kind of error lines all over the file)

Build started 3/5/2008 3:33:43 PM.

Target ShowDebugInfo:
Distro name: Tiny
DISTROBINARIESDIR: C:\SINGUL~1\base.obj\Distros\Tiny.Prototype.LegacyPC.MarkSweep.Min.MarkSweep\Singularity\Binaries
DISTROFILESDIR: C:\SINGUL~1\base.obj\Distros\Tiny.Prototype.LegacyPC.MarkSweep.Min.MarkSweep\Singularity\Files
DISTROSCRIPTDIR: C:\SINGUL~1\base.obj\Distros\Tiny.Prototype.LegacyPC.MarkSweep.Min.MarkSweep\Singularity\Scripts
Target BuildBootSectors:

Target CompileBootPrograms:
Skipping target "CompileBootPrograms" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.
Skipping target "CompileBootPrograms" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.
Target BuildBaseProjects:

Target BuildDependentProjects:

Target BuildStrongName:
Skipping target "BuildStrongName" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.

Target BuildStrongName:
Skipping target "BuildStrongName" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.

Target CreateStrongName:
Skipping target "CreateStrongName" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.
Target CopyToOutputDirs:
Skipping target "CopyToOutputDirs" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.
Target BuildAssembly:
Skipping target "BuildAssembly" because all output files are up-to-date with respect to the input files.

Target BuildAssembly:
C:\SINGUL~1\base\Build\csic.exe -out:C:\SINGUL~1\base.obj\Interfaces\Baseattrs.ill -outdir:C:\SINGUL~1\base.obj\Interfaces /nostdlib /r:C:\SINGUL~1\base.obj\Interfaces\Basetypes.ill=kernel.exe -t:library AccessedThroughPropertyAttribute.csi AssemblyFileVersionAttribute.csi AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi CLSCompliantAttribute.csi CompilerGlobalScopeAttribute.csi ConditionalAttribute.csi CustomConstantAttribute.csi DateTimeConstantAttribute.csi DebuggerAttributes.csi DecimalConstantAttribute.csi DiscardableAttribute.csi IndexerNameAttribute.csi InteropServices.csi IsVolatile.csi LayoutKind.csi MethodImplAttribute.csi NeutralResourcesLanguageAttribute.csi ObsoleteAttribute.csi ParamArrayAttribute.csi RequiredAttributeAttribute.csi SatelliteContractVersionAttribute.csi SecurityAttributes.csi ThreadStaticAttribute.csi BaseAttrs.csi || (
echo Deleting corrupted output - C:\SINGUL~1\base.obj\Interfaces\Baseattrs.ill & del C:\SINGUL~1\base.obj\Interfaces\Baseattrs.ill /q & exit 1)
csic: can't find "C:\SINGUL~1\base.obj\Interfaces\Basetypes.ill=kernel.exe"
AccessedThroughPropertyAttribute.csi(14,60): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
unknown built-in type 'System.Int32'; maybe a missing -reference option
unknown built-in type 'System.String'; maybe a missing -reference option
AssemblyFileVersionAttribute.csi(24,56): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
AssemblyFileVersionAttribute.csi(27,45): undefined namespace or type 'String'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(22,54): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(25,43): undefined namespace or type 'String'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(30,54): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(33,43): undefined namespace or type 'String'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(38,52): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(41,41): undefined namespace or type 'String'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(46,52): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(49,41): undefined namespace or type 'String'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(54,56): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(57,45): undefined namespace or type 'String'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(62,50): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(65,39): undefined namespace or type 'String'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(70,58): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(73,47): undefined namespace or type 'String'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(78,57): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(81,46): undefined namespace or type 'String'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(86,65): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'
AssemblyReflectionAttributes.csi(89,54): undefined namespace or type 'String'
CLSCompliantAttribute.csi(20,49): undefined namespace or type 'Attribute'

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:18 PM
Have you tried running the Singularity 1.1 RDK shortcut as Administrator? I had a similar problem with Vista Enterprise and that solved the problem for me...
Mar 5, 2008 at 5:26 PM
Yes, make sure you run configure.cmd before doing anything. This will drop a shortcut on your desktop. Depending on where you unzipped Singularity, you may need to touch up the shortcut's target with some double-quotes (especially if you have spaces in the path name). e.g. %windir%\system32\cmd.exe /k "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\singularity-6601\\base\setenv.cmd"

Fintan wrote:
Have you tried running the Singularity 1.1 RDK shortcut as Administrator? I had a similar problem with Vista Enterprise and that solved the problem for me...

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:43 PM
I get an ilasm.exe error..
To run this application, you must first install on the the following version of the .NET Framework: v1.1.4322

I'm runing Vista-U.
Mar 5, 2008 at 8:36 PM
Josh - if you have that installed check this url - otherwise find the link to DL .NET 1.1.4322 from it - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824643
Mar 6, 2008 at 12:03 PM
Still the same problem. I have created the shortcut with the updated version of Configure.vbs, but still the same errors. I have written down the output log, any ideas?
Mar 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM
I am a Vista user as well, and I believe I also received these errors or ones like them. To resolve them, I downloaded and installed the .NET 1.1 redistributable from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en. I don't know why the version of .NET 1.1 that comes installed with Vista wasn't good enough, but this did fix these problems for me.
Mar 6, 2008 at 3:42 PM
The issue is that .NET 1.1 is too "old" for Vista - it works, but Vista doesn't need it or use it per se. Other apps like Singularity do however so it's installable. Check with Issues if you still have problems installing - I put a bug up that shows a fix for a problem with CMD line environment settings.
Mar 6, 2008 at 7:01 PM
I also have problems, or raher only one problem, I cannot finish the build because some error occurs at "tree". The only message is:

D:\SOURCE\Singularity\base.obj\Apps\Prototype.x86.MarkSweep\tree.manifest
tree D:\SOURCE\SINGUL~1\base\Build\bartok.exe
nib: Error: tree D:\SOURCE\SINGUL~1\base\Build\bartok.exe failed with exit code: -1

I tried deleting tree and rebuild, with the same result. All tree's files (exe, xml, manifest and pdb) are built. Has anyone any clue what's going on?
Mar 6, 2008 at 7:05 PM
I also have a problem, I cannot finish the build because some error occurs at "tree". The only message is:

D:\SOURCE\Singularity\base.obj\Apps\Prototype.x86.MarkSweep\tree.manifest
tree D:\SOURCE\SINGUL~1\base\Build\bartok.exe
nib: Error: tree D:\SOURCE\SINGUL~1\base\Build\bartok.exe failed with exit code: -1

I tried deleting tree and rebuild, with the same result. All tree's files (exe, xml, manifest and pdb) are built, seemingly correctly. Has anyone any clue what's going on?
Mar 6, 2008 at 8:59 PM
Did you try using the /t:CLEAN parameter when building?
Mar 6, 2008 at 9:50 PM

buraksarica wrote:
Still the same problem. I have created the shortcut with the updated version of Configure.vbs, but still the same errors. I have written down the output log, any ideas?

I also downloaded .NET 1.1 SP1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885055 for my copy of Vista Ultimate x64bit. After installing these updates I also downloaded and installed some hotfixes for .NET 1.1 from Windows Automatic Updates. I was able to build it without a problem using the "msb Distro\Tiny.proj" target option. I ran it using Microsoft Virtual PC. As you can see from the screenshot link below.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg139/davidesii/Singularity.jpg
I hope this helps.

Here is my system specs.
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate x64
Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
System Manufacturer ASUS
System Model G1S
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16407"
Total Physical Memory 4,094.50 MB
Mar 7, 2008 at 12:54 AM
Hi buraksarica,

I think I had same issue as yourself. I first tried running the msb Distro\Tiny.proj before I had installed extras such as Net Frameworks V1 etc, and had failed to compile with many errors. I managed to sort the issue by first installing all of the required extras, then deleting the base.obj directory and restarting the msb Distro\Tiny.proj

It compiled fine after that.

Hope this helps.

Trev
Mar 7, 2008 at 5:05 AM

Trevor_Newsome wrote:
Hi buraksarica,

I think I had same issue as yourself. I first tried running the msb Distro\Tiny.proj before I had installed extras such as Net Frameworks V1 etc, and had failed to compile with many errors. I managed to sort the issue by first installing all of the required extras, then deleting the base.obj directory and restarting the msb Distro\Tiny.proj

It compiled fine after that.

Hope this helps.

Trev

I just wanted to add that in my case I had to go back to step "1.4. Create a Desktop Shortcut and Singularity Build Environment Building" found in the Building and Running Singularity RDK 1.1.pdf file. This is what I did from the command shell prompt:
  • First I ran "msb /t:Clean Distro\World.proj"
  • Delete the "base.obj" directory
  • Then run the shell script base\setenv.cmd to configure the build environment for Singularity. Execute it by hand from a command shell: %ComSpec% /k base\setenv.cmd
  • Lastly run "msb Distro\World.proj" to build Singularity

I don't know if it is going to be necessary to do the same steps, but this is what I had to do to rebuild it.
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2008 at 8:03 PM
If you encounter trouble building, the best (safest) thing to do is to:

1. Delete the base.obj tree (using for example "rmdir /s /q base.obj")
2. Install all necessary dependencies. You will need the .NET Framework 1.1, otherwise you will encounter errors about missing symbols for types from mscorlib like Attribute, String, and Int32.
3. Open a fresh new command prompt and make sure you've run base\setenv.cmd in your enlistment.
4. "msb Distro\Tiny.proj". If this succeeds, try building everything with "msb Distro\World.proj".

Please let me know if you're still encountering trouble. Good luck!
--
Derrick Coetzee
Microsoft Research Operating Systems Group developer
Mar 8, 2008 at 7:06 PM
Hi!

I had a little problem with building the World target. Tiny and Small works fine. I have the same problem with BVT. Can anyone help me?

Here is the problem that I get during building the target:
"E:\T\sing\base\Targets\Distro.targets(280,5): error MSB3073: The command "PATH C:\Windows\System32;C:\Windows;E:\T\sing\
base\build;E:\T\sing\base & E:\T\sing\base\Build\nib.exe /bartok:E:\T\sing\base\Build\bartok.exe /machine:x86 /cache:E:\
T\sing\base.obj /libcache:E:\T\sing\base.obj\nib.libcache\Prototype.x86.MarkSweep /native:E:\T\sing\base.obj\AppNativeIm
age\Prototype.x86.MarkSweep /options:E:\T\sing\base\Options\Prototype.MarkSweep.x86.options /temp:E:\T\sing\base.obj\App
NativeObj\Prototype.x86.MarkSweep /apps:E:\T\sing\base.obj\Distros\World.Prototype.LegacyPC.MarkSweep.Min.MarkSweep\Nib
FileList.txt" exited with code 4."
Mar 8, 2008 at 10:38 PM

sidephase wrote:
Did you try using the /t:CLEAN parameter when building?

Thanks for that - I've not much experience with MSB (keep meaning to learn it), so wasn't sure how to invoke a clean build.
So far seems to be working much better - at least most of the failed items are working OK now.
Mar 11, 2008 at 7:56 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2008 at 8:00 PM
Hi!

I'm trying to build, but I have the following error:

C:\singularity-6601\base\Targets\Paths.targets(69,49): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\singularity-6601\base\Targets\TheSINGULARITYROOTpropertyisnotdefined!" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

I don't have this file in the specified location, and it isn't in the zip.
What is the problem? I have .Net framework 1.1 and Debugging tools for windows.
Mar 12, 2008 at 9:20 PM
Interestingly, rebuilding the whole project stopped again with missing "tree". I tried of course teh mentioned clean and rebuild Tiny, which was okay. Then again I tried with a cleanup and rebuild World, but again, the problem with the tree was there.

Anyone, any clue?
Mar 13, 2008 at 2:46 PM
Sorry for the late feedback. the /t:CLEAN parameter solved my problem. But that was before this suggestion posted here. Sorry for not giving feedback here.

Thanks all!