Using metal rather than vm

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:19 AM
Edited Apr 30, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Hello,

Over the last year I have been working on and off on my "pseudo" Xserver so I can create simple graphics and GUI applications for Singularity.

I would love to shed the need for a virtual machine, does anyone here know what machine this OS will run flawlessly on? (Preferably an IBM Thinkpad :D)

I think the most important things (Compatibility wise) are the acpi and video card (Trio). Sound card will preferably be the same that VirtualPC emulates so to stay compatible with future work.

I guess put simply, does anyone know of a laptop with the same hardware as emulated by VirtualPC 2007?

Best Regards,

Karsten

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM
Hello, Great idea Karsten! Although it seems like a lot of work :) For almost a year I have been working on extending Singularity's I/O subsystem (as work for my Master thesis). Haven't tried to run Singularity on a physical machine, however there is a small section in the Singularity's RDK documentation on the subject (Getting Started\Building and Running Singularity RDK 2.0.pdf), that says you need a PC with at least 512MB of RAM and a Pentium II or later processor. I guess that you just have to try to run it and if it doesn't work then maybe send an e-mail to singrdkq@microsoft.com (as stated in the above document). Good luck! Best Regards, Marek
May 6, 2010 at 10:52 PM
Oh and one more thing which might be helpful. When I viewed the source code of Singularity's kernel drivers, I spotted the names "Dell Precision 490" and "Dell Precision 380" in the comments. Bus drivers are implemented for "nForce4" and "nForce4 Intel Edition" chipsets as far as I know. Check out the specification of those Dell's and try to find something similar. Best Regards, Marek
May 7, 2010 at 5:09 AM

By the way, there was no replies for me from the e-mail :(

Developers. where are you? :)